Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a graduate student in American Literature...

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Nuts...The Most Fattening Healthy Food of All

I've been trying to cut down on my sugar intake, so my fat intake is definitely on the upswing. The best form of fat to me comes from nuts. The only nuts I don't really like--except in butter form--are peanuts.

But here are some yummy things you can do with nuts:

Soba Noodles with almond-miso sauce and fresh veggies (adapted from Mollie Katzen's Still Life with Menu)
-Make a sauce by mixing together 6 tablespoons almond butter, 4 tablespoons miso (any kind), and 1 and a half cups boiling water (mix in only a little at first, so you can make a paste with the first two ingredients). Then you can take that sauce and put it over soba noodles with steamed or lightly sauteed veggies (and tofu, if you like), drizzle a bit of sesame oil, garnish with chopped scallions and fresh cilantro, and you've got yourself a delicious meal.

-Go crazy with coconut oil. Supposedly this oil is a special kind of fat that doesn't store itself as fat but instead turns to energy in your body. That, at least, is what the back of the expensive container of it says! I also read that it's a good antimicrobial and good, in general, for your body--as long as you don't overdose on it. A raw foods chef whom I met recently at a hot springs gave me the following recipe for a raw foods shake that tasted delicious and was both filling and very healthy:

Genevieve's Breakfast Drink
a few dates
a teaspoon of Nutiva brand coconut oil/butter
a banana
a teaspoon of Goji berries
a teaspoon of Maca (some kind of healthy powder--to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but she said it was good for male potency...)
a teaspoon of spirulina powder
a 1/4 cup water
ice

You might also add other kinds of tropical fruit and/or a dash of flax oil for good measure.

Go nutty!

2 Comments:

Blogger mollie said...

hey tov!

my friend willie mentioned wanting to find coconut oil, and practically the next day I noticed it on the shelf in my local "associated" grocery store.

after reading the label listing the health benefits, I was sold. mine wasn't too expensive- $3.99. It's great b/c it can be used in things that you don't want to use olive oil for- like baking. I used it in place of butter for cookies, and they came out perfectly.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Tova said...

Mollie,
I also tried it in baked goods (I used it in a pie crust), but it was too weird. The pie crust smelled and tasted strongly of coconut. I think it might have been less strong with a different brand?

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
web counter