Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, U.S. Outlying Islands

I am a graduate student in American Literature...

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Egg-sistential Eggs

In my view, my grandmother makes the best eggs ever. Well, she doesn't make them anymore because she went blind and had to stop cooking. She actually continued to cook after she lost her sight, but one day there was a huge fire in the kitchen and my father forbade her from cooking anymore. That's all right, because the stuff she cooked after she went blind was often misshapen and sometimes had too much salt or an oddly unpleasant aftertaste, as though my grandma reached for the wrong ingredient. (My grandma does, however, attend braille classes, and reads and writes in it--something she started to do in her late 80s!).

So I once asked my grandma what she did to make her eggs so good. The answer was very simple. Lots of butter. Well, that makes sense. But the funny part of that is that when she was still hosting weekly Sunday brunches, my parents were always asking for egg beaters, which my grandma claimed to be serving (Not). I once saw the "egg beater" mixture, and it was nothing but pure eggs!

I eat eggs almost every morning for breakfast, and here's my secret (and it doesn't include a lot of butter--though butter never hurts). First I sautee a sweet onion. I like to peel the onion, cut it in half, and lay each half flat down, then slice thinly all the way through. This makes the onion pieces long and stringy, so they don't get lost in the fray. I heat up the butter or spray oil, throw in the onions with a pinch of salt, and cook the onions for as long as it takes to cut up the veggies. Cubed zuccini is always good, and whatever else is lying around. In the meantime, I beat the eggs (organic or free range really does make a difference) and crumble in some feta cheese or grate in some other kind of cheese, add sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and fresh herbs if I have them. Right before adding them to the pan, I turn up the heat to medium-high, add a bit of butter, and dump in the eggs. The trick, in my view, is to let them sit for four or five minutes without doing a thing. Don't touch! Then, once they are all browned at the bottom, take a spatula and flip the egg pancake in parts (it will break up, but still stay in pancake sized pieces). Alternately, if you want an omelette, don't flip but turn on the broiler, pop the frying pan under it for five minutes, and voila--an Italian omelette. And if you're in the mood, you can always spice things up with garlic and oregano, or add different kinds of ingredients--black olives and sun-dried tomatoes are a favorite of mine.

2 Comments:

Blogger marco saenz said...

Hi Tova,
I do the exact same thing with my eggs-let them sit and brown and fluff a bit. One thing I like to do is put some baby spinach--or regular spinach--in the pan as it heats up and cover it to allow the spinach to wilt, then pour in my eggs and let them sit. I love the way the eggs look nicely browned with the dark green spinach laced throughout.

RR

BTW: This blog rocks.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Tova said...

Hey Marco
I love that image of the spinach laced in with the eggs. So pretty. And thanks for reading my blog. It feels good to know that I am not writing into a blank blogosphere.
Tova

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free web counter
web counter